Date: Feburary 1, 2010 Type: Feature Status: Deprecated
- In light of the introduction of Travel Mode, Autopilot now also associates the current computer’s name to its tasks. When this patch is applied, Grindstone will assume that all tasks previously created by Autopilot were recorded on the current computer, assigning it’s name to those tasks.
- The name “computer” is now reserved by the data store so that Autopilot tasks can denote the name of the computer on which the tasks were created and timed against. If you already happened to have custom fields named “computer”, Grindstone will resolve the conflict during the installation of this patch by renaming any custom fields named “computer”, adding a bunch of random numbers to the end of their names. It also makes the same adjustments in your selected columns, grouping settings, and views to ensure that you’ll find everything as you left it, apart from the extra numbers. You can then rename the affected custom fields to something else using the Configure Profile window.
- The name “notes” is now reserved by the data store system so that task notes can be displayed in the Task List as a column. If you already happened to have custom fields named “notes”, Grindstone will resolve the conflict during the installation of this patch by renaming any custom fields named “notes”, adding a bunch of random numbers to the end of their names. It also makes the same adjustments in your selected columns, grouping settings, and views to ensure that you’ll find everything as you left it, apart form the extra numbers. You can then rename the affected custom fields to something else using the Configure Profile window.
- You can now have Grindstone remind you of the task you’re currently timing at a specified interval using a new preference available on the Reminders tab of the Options window.
- When Showing the Task List from the Stopwatch, the Stopwatch will now switch the Task List’s selected profile if necessary to show the task that’s being timed.
System Tray Icon
- The Context Menu displayed when you right-click on this icon has had a technical overhaul:
- Now displays icons next to menu options.
- No longer accidentally closes due to other operations that alter the icon (such as Timing flashes).
- It is no longer possible to open multiple instances of the Option window using the option available in the context menu of the system tray icon.
- You can now choose to display notes for your tasks as a column.
- You can now group tasks by which computer Autopilot created them on.
- You can now show which computer Autopilot created tasks on as a column.
- The speed of rendering time segments when Preview Notes is activated has been increased.
- Now you can take Grindstone with you on a USB flash drive (or other types of removable media) and use it on other computers.
- The Task List features a new option in it’s Grindstone menu that allows you to setup Grindstone on removable drives and copy data back and forth from them.
- When transfering data back and forth, profiles, rates, tasks, time, custom fields, and views are copied or overwritten. Other options and preferences are preserved on both your home installation and your travel installations.
- When running in Travel Mode:
- Grindstone saves your data to the removable media it’s running on rather than your Windows user folder.
- Grindstone will never “remember” window sizes or positions because it’s assumed that different computers can have different display settings.
- Automatic Backups and Background Save are disabled because we don’t want to waste the finite number of writes your USB flash drive may be able to perform.
- Check for Updates is disabled. You can update your Grindstone Travel Installation by updating Grindstone on your home computer and “re-setting-up” Grindstone on the removable media using the option in the Task List.
- The Welcome Back window now allows you to set the notes for the time segment created or modified to reconcile your time away from your computer.